About the Solomons
Welcome to archipelago of 992 magical islands in the Pacific Ocean.Find out more
There are nine provinces in the Solomon Islands and so much to experience.Find out more
The Solomon Islands has accommodation options to suit all budgets and styles.Find out more
All Solomon Airlines customers receive free cabin and checked baggage allowances as detailed below. Excess baggage rates will apply if you exceed your allowance.
Please read all information about our baggage rules and our unaccompanied baggage service here. Note that even if your baggage meets the below requirements, we may refuse to carry it if it's not properly and securely packed.
If your journey is ticketed with another airline, different baggage rules may apply, check your e-ticket itinerary for details.
Cabin Baggage Allowances
• All cabin baggage must fit under the seat in front of you or in an overhead locker, including musical instruments.
• Adults travelling with infants are entitled to take an additional 7kg cabin baggage free of charge for essential baby products, such as baby milk, food, wipes etc.
• If the total baggage carried by one passenger exceeds the allowance, some or all items must be checked-in as hold baggage and included in the free checked baggage allowance.
• The allowance can be made of:
- Two briefcases or small bags; OR
- One briefcase / small bag plus one suit pack / garment bag (60 cm x 114 cm x 11 cm).
• Following items may be carried in cabin in addition to the 7kg allowance:
- Laptops in a thin case.
- A handbag, pocket book or purse, which is appropriate to normal travelling dress and is not being used as a container for the transportation of articles which would otherwise be regarded as baggage.
- An overcoat, wrap or blanket.
- An umbrella (excluding umbrellas with metal points) or walking stick.
- A small camera and/or a pair of binoculars.
- A reasonable amount of reading matter for the flight.
- Infant food for consumption in flight.
- A pair of crutches and/or prosthetic device for the passenger’s use provided that the passenger is dependent upon them.
Checked Baggage Allowances
|Allowance||Belama Club Members||Belama Plus|
|International Economy||30 kg||40 kg||50 kg|
|International Business||40 kg||50 kg||60 kg|
No single item of checked baggage can exceed 32kg
Infants: Adults travelling with an infant are entitled to carry the following items for free in addition to their checked allowance: portable cots, prams/strollers and car seats/baby capsules.
Children are entitled to the same baggage allowances as adults. If a child checks in a car seat/booster seat, it will be included in their baggage allowance (ie. it will not be carried free of charge).
International baggage allowances apply if you have a connection between a domestic and an international flight both operated by Solomon Airlines and booked in a single ticket. This is not applicable to passengers connecting via a different carrier.
Below excess baggage charges apply for checked baggage exceeding the above stated allowances.
|Route||Charge per kilo||Route||Charge per kilo|
|Brisbane to Honiara||AUD 16.00||Honiara to Brisbane||SBD 70.00|
|Brisbane to Munda (direct)||AUD 16.00||Honiara to Port Vila||SBD 35.00|
|Brisbane to Tarawa||AUD 19.00||Honiara to Nadi||SBD45.00|
|Nadi to Honiara||FJD 15.00||Honiara to Tarawa||SBD 40.00|
|Port Vila to Honiara||VUV 500.00|
|Tarawa to Honiara||AUD 10.00|
|Tarawa to Brisbane||AUD 16.00|
|Route||Charge per kilo||Route||Charge per kilo|
|Honiara to Afutara||SBD 15.00||Honaira to Marau||SBD 14.00|
|Honiara to Arona||SBD 20.00||Honiara to Manaoba||SBD 17.00|
|Honiara to Atoifi||SBD 15.00||Honiara to Mono||SBD 33.00|
|Honiara to Auki||SBD 14.00||Honiara to Munda||SBD 24.00|
|Honiara to Ballalae||SBD 33.00||Honiara to Parasi||SBD 17.00|
|Honiara to Bellona||SBD 20.00||Honiara to Ramata||SBD 23.00|
|Honiara to Choiseul Bay||SBD 32.00||Honiara to Rennell||SBD 20.00|
|Honiara to Fera||SBD 17.00||Honiara to Santa Ana||SBD 23.00|
|Honiara to Gizo||SBD 27.00||Honiara to Santa Cruz||SBD 38.00|
|Honiara to Kagau||SBD 26.00||Honiara to Seghe||SBD 21.00|
|Honiara to KiraKira||SBD 20.00||Honiara to Suavanao||SBD 21.00|
|Honiara to Lomlom||SBD 41.00|
|Munda to Honiara||SBD 24.00||Munda to Seghe||SBD 14.00|
|Munda to Gizo||SBD 12.00||Munda to Suavanao||SBD 18.00|
Note: Above excess charge rates are correct as at 11 June 2019 but subject to change without notice.
Pre-purchase of excess baggage is not available on Solomon Airlines operated flights.
Customers carrying sporting equipment are entitled to an additional 7kg of checked baggage allowance on Solomon Airlines operated flights. Sporting equipment includes, but is not limited to: Surfboards; Scuba diving equipment; Golf clubs; Bicycles, etc.
Bicycles must be suitably packed in a bike box. Bike boxes must be properly and securely packed. Before bicycles can be accepted they must be packed with:
- tyres deflated
- pedals removed
- handle bars fixed parallel to the frame
- the front wheel removed and fixed beside the rear wheel, inside the bike box, if the bicycles length exceeds 140cm (55in).
Scuba diving gear
You can check in the following items on Solomon Airlines operated services:
- face mask, snorkel and fins (pair)
- harness and safety vest
- knife and spear gun
- regulator and pressure gauge
- tank and weight belt.
Knives must be carried in checked baggage. Spear guns must be unloaded with spears packed separately. Flares, incendiary or explosive spearheads will not be accepted at all in checked or cabin baggage. Compressed air or gas tanks will only be accepted if empty and regulator tap is open.
To carry a surfboard as baggage, fins must be removed where possible and placed in an enclosed compartment or taped to the board. At check-in, you’ll need to attach a fragile tag to the bag and you must complete and sign the limited release portion of the baggage tag.
Only accepted if enclosed in a surfboard bag and does not exceed 32kg in weight and 277cm in length on international flights. If travelling on domestic aircraft, maximum surfboard bag dimensions must not exceed 200cm.
Small musical instruments may be carried onboard as cabin baggage provided that each instrument does not exceed dimensions of 85cm x 34cm x 23cm (total linear dimensions 142cm). As an example, many violins fit within these dimensions, while most guitars do not.
An instrument replaces one piece of the customer’s cabin baggage (equivalent to a piece with total linear dimensions of 105cm), and the weight counts toward the guest’s 7kg total carry-on allowance.
Please measure your musical instrument before arriving at the airport to confirm whether it can be taken as cabin baggage. It is recommended that you board the aircraft promptly to stow your instrument in an overhead locker.
Larger musical instruments (exceeding dimensions of 85cm x 34cm x 23cm) are not allocated an additional baggage allowance and are managed as follows:
- The weight of the musical instrument counts towards the total baggage allowance weight of the customer.
Any musical instrument over 32kg must be sent as Cargo.
Guests who wish to travel with a cello or guitar in the cabin must purchase an additional seat. For further information please contact Solomon Airlines Reservations.
Seafood, Meat and Frozen Products
Seafood/meat/frozen products can be accepted as checked baggage when packed in the following way:
- Solid plastic or fibreglass Eskies or Styrofoam boxes with lids. Note: Soft-sided cooler bags and cardboard boxes are NOT permitted.
- Products must be sealed in watertight plastic bags or sealable containers.
- Wet ice must be packed separately from frozen products, in sealed watertight plastic bags or sealable containers, e.g. frozen water bottles.
- The total weight of each container, including contents, must not exceed 20kg each. Containers weighing more than 20kg must be referred to Freight.
Live seafood cannot be carried as checked baggage. Contact Cargo if you wish to transport live seafood.
Packing your baggage
All contents of your baggage must be packed securely and appropriately. Do not pack valuables, essential medication or important documents in your checked baggage.
Each item of checked baggage must be labelled with your name, address and contact details. We recommend that you lock your baggage. However, it may be necessary for governments, airports or their contractors to open and inspect your baggage as part of the security screening process. If your baggage is locked, and you aren't present when it's necessary to open it, the lock may be broken by security screeners.
Acceptance of your baggage is subject to compliance with our:
- conditions of carriage
- applicable size and weight limits
- applicable laws and security measures including those imposed by airports
- dangerous goods guide
Note that even if your baggage meets the above requirements, we may refuse to carry it if it's not properly and securely packed. Finally, remember that no single item of checked baggage can exceed 32kg and all cabin baggage must fit under the seat in front of you or in an overhead locker, including musical instruments.