Honiara International Airport
Welcome to Honiara Airport (HIR), the gateway to the Solomon Islands. Now that you have arrived, please let us share a rundown of the airports facilities, transport options and points of interest to help you get around. Be sure to look out the aircraft window as you descend into our lovely country for a view of the vast blue seas, coral reefs and tropical islands below.
Honiara Airport is just 12km east of the vibrant capital city and making your way around the main island is easy.
Here are a few tips to make your airport transit a breeze.
- Car hire – keen to self-drive and explore Honiara’s Guadalcanal Island? The car rental desk is easy to find in the airport. The roads are fairly simple to navigate, plus you have the option of sightseeing at a whim.
- Local Taxis and Mini Bus info – located directly outside the main entrance, these frequent and friendly transport services get you where you need to go.
- Hotel Transfer – check ahead if your hotel offers a private transfer from the airport to your accommodation. If so, book in and be greeted at the airport with your name on a sign and a smile.
Honiara Airport Facilities
At the international airport we welcome all visitors to the Hapi’ Isles. Here is some key information about the airport:
- Duty free – there is a small duty free shop on arrival.
- Refreshments - snacks and drinks are available inside the terminal.
- Wi-Fi - free for travellers in transit within the airport building.
- Currency exchange and ATMs are readily accessible.
- Souvenirs – take home a unique Solomon Island memento from the airport souvenir store.
- Did you know? Honiara Airport was formerly known Henderson Base, an integral part of WW11 operations. Various memorabilia and war relics still surround the airport grounds.
International Flight Carriers
Solomon Airlines is the proud national carrier for the Solomon Islands and offer regular international direct routes to Australia, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu and the Republic of Kirabati. Many tourists who travel to the Solomons from Europe and the America’s generally select a stopover location such as Fiji or Australia.
Many tourists plan interisland activities on their Solomon Islands itinerary. Solomon Airlines can get you to many of our stunning provinces. A short flight will have you to your island in no time with stunning views on the way. Boat transfers to coastal resorts are best booked in advance through your hotel reception staff.
Visa & Passport Requirements
All travellers to our island home require a valid passport to enter the Solomon Islands. Your passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months from your departure date. Most tourists will be issued a visitor permit for up to a 90 day stay on arrival. Should you want to enjoy your Solomon Islands holiday longer, the visitor permit may be extended upon request. Citizens of the Commonwealth, the United States and the majority of European countries do not require a visa upon arrival. All other foreign nationals should apply for a holiday and/or working visa before entry to the Solomons.