Solomon Airlines supports 15th annual Great Western Fishing Tournament at Lola Island near Munda
Posted on October 13, 2022 at 08:00 AM in Solomon Islands Tourism
The Stunned Mullet Sport Fish Club is holding the 15th Annual Great Western 2022 Fishing Tournament from 28th October to 30th October 2022 at Zipolo Habu Resort on Lola Island in the Vona Vona Lagoon, which promises a great weekend of fishing, fun, festivities, catching up with old mates, and both professional and pretend fishermen.
Solomon Airlines is supporting our tourism partners by sponsoring the prize for the Largest Popper Caught Fish/Rod & Reel.
Details for the event are as follows:
- There is no registration fee but all fishers must submit their registration form before Saturday 22 October 2022
- Forms will be available at WCS office Munda, Zipolo Habu Resort on Lola Island, Gizo Marine in Gizo, Wing Sun Ltd. Gizo5 & NFD in Noro, or email [email protected] for a registration form
- Rod & Reel or Hand line fishing only
Prizes on offer are as follows:
- $20,000 Prize for Heaviest Marlin over 150 KG
- $5,000 Prize for Heaviest Billfish
- Champion Boat – Trophy & Sponsor Prize $2000 - Most Species Of Fish Caught
- Champion Game Fish – Trophy & Sponsor Prize - $2000 - Any Of The Following:-
- Wahoo, Mahi Mahi, Yellowfin Tuna Spanish Mackerel
- Champion Bottom Fish – Trophy & Sponsor Prize - $2000.00 - Any Of The Following:-
- Snapper, Cod, Jobfish, Bream
- Champion Male Angler – Sponsor Prize - $1500 - Most Fish Caught Rod/Reel
- Champion Lady Angler – Sponsor Prize - $1500 - Most Fish Caught Rod/Reel
- Champion Male Angler – Sponsor Prize - $1500 - Most Fish Caught Hand Line
- Champion Lady Angler – Sponsor Prize - $1500 - Most Fish Caught Hand Line
- Champion Junior Male Angler - Sponsor Prize - $1000 – Most Fish Caught
- Champion Junior Female Angler….Sponsor Prize - $1000 – Most Fish Caught
- Champion Junior Male Angler…….Sponsor Prize - $1000 – Biggest Fish Caught
- Champion Junior Female Angler - Sponsor Prize - $1000 – Biggest Fish Caught
And non cash prizes:
- Largest - Popper Fish (any fish caught on a casting popper)
- Largest - Outer Reef Fish (Trevally,Barracuda, Spanish Mackerel)
- Most - Bottom Fish (Snapper, Cod, Jobfish, Bream)
- Most - Reef Fish (Coral Trout, Sweetlips, Wrasse)
Important things to note:
- No sharks, stingrays & dugongs
- No spear gun fishing, scuba gear, fishing nets, or night fishing
- No competitor to win more than one prize.
- 50% of all proceeds from fish sales, private donations, and the auction will be donated to the Helena Goldie Hospital
- All entrants must have their catch weighed in at Zipolo Habu Resort by 5pm on Saturday and 4pm on Sunday
- All fish must be 1kg minimum size to qualify, all juniors (12 years and under) fish must be over 8 inches in length
- All fish must be caught on the days nominated with a rod & reel or a handline
- All competitors are responsible for their own personal and boat safety, at least one mobile phone per boat is required to participate
What is included for Fishing Competition entrants?
- Free registration
- Ice 5kg supplied per boat per day.
Other expenses such as transport, accommodation, drinks/meals (other than sponsored), packed lunches, and fuel are not included. For those wanting to fish but don’t have a boat, spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and boats are available for hire with guides. We suggest you make your own accommodation & travel arrangements.
Fishing Competition program
- Friday 28th October evening: Welcome B-B-Q sponsored by Solomon Telekom
- Tournament briefing, Live Music & Raffle at Zipolo Habu at 6pm. Happy Hour 6–7:30 pm.
- Saturday 29th October. Depart ZIPOLO HABU or another location, in your own time to start fishing.
- Official Start: Lines in at 5am
- Fishing during the day and make your way back to Zipolo Habu Resort to be there by the 5pm weigh-in
- This is a safety issue to make sure everyone is safely home and accounted for before dark
- Saturday Night BBQ/Buffet sponsored by Solomon Brothers Munda
- Sunday 30th October. Lines in at 4am
- Fishing during the day and, make your way back for the Official Tournament Finish and weigh in at 4pm
- Buffet Dinner sponsored by Solbrew and the Prize presentation will be organised at Zipolo Habu Resort
For further information contact Zipolo Habu Resort or:
- Joe Entrikin, (+677) 7471105
- Tony Sarcich (+677) 7494110 or 8750011
Related News Items
Get the latest updates straight to your inbox