Solomon Airlines packages for 13th annual Great Western Fishing Tournament
Posted on October 21, 2020 at 02:00 PM in Solomon Islands Tourism
- Register to fish by 24 October, cash prizes up to SBD$20,000
- 50% of proceeds go to Helena Goldie Hospital
- Download our latest Helpful Holidays flyer here
Hundreds of fishing enthusiasts, friends, and spectators will descend on Munda at the end of this month for the 13th Annual Great Western 2020 Fishing Tournament’ from 30th October to 1st November, 2020.
The 3-Day fishing tournament described as ‘a few rules, lots of fun, fishing and prizes up to $20,000’ is hosted by the ‘STUNNED MULLET SPORTFISH CLUB’ and will be based at Zipolo Habu Resort on Lola Island in the Vona Vona Lagoon. Organisers will donate 50% of catch and all proceeds from fish sales, auction, and private donations to the Helena Goldie Hospital.
This year the programme offers dozens of prizes, a full weekend of fishing and festivities, a Welcome BBQ and Banquet Dinner, and even a post-tournament Melbourne Cup Day event on Tuesday 3rd November for those that want to stay on, complete with Ladies in Fashion hats and live TV coverage of the famous race.
Solomon Airlines ‘Helpful Holidays’ programme has announced return airfare and accommodation package deals from Honiara to Munda for the tournament, starting from 3-nights at SBD$2864 per person twin share, including light breakfast daily, and a Sunset Cruise, through to 7 nights from SBD$3467 per person twin share.
Packages on offer include Zipolo Habu Resort (at the heart of the action), Agnes Gateway Hotel, Qua Roviana, Titiru Eco Lodge, and Castaway Lagoon Resort. For flight and accommodation bookings contact Solomon Airlines Point Cruz Sales Office on 20152, via email [email protected] or in person Monday to Friday between 8am-4pm.
Colin Sigimanu, Commercial Manager for Solomon Airlines said the popular fishing tournament will again create big excitement in Munda, stimulating important local tourism activity.
“This is a great time to be in Munda, every year we see extraordinary demand around the tournament, and this year we are especially pleased to support with discounted travel under our Helpful Holidays program,” he said.
“Helpful Holidays is a domestic tourism stimulus initiative and we are pleased to offer packages at up to 50% off regular pricing levels so that more residents can be a part of the excitement,’ he said.
The airline and the organisers of the tournament are urging people to make travel plans quickly, especially those who wish to participate in fishing. Availability is limited and while there is no Registration Fee, all competitors and boats must submit an Official Registration Form by Saturday, October 24th.
Forms are available by email from [email protected] or at Airport Café Munda, Zipolo Habu Resort, Gizo Marine, and NFD in Noro.
For further details on the ‘13th Annual Great Western 2020 Fishing Tournament’ Programme, contact the organisers: Joe Entrikin, ph: 747110 or Tony Sarcich ph: 7494110 or 8750011.
Event Details from the organisers
The STUNNED MULLET SPORTFISH CLUB is holding the 13th Annual Great Western 2020 Fishing Tournament from 30th October to 1st November, 2020 at Zipolo Habu Resort on Lola Island in the Vona Vona Lagoon.
No Registration Fee but all fishermen must submit registration form before Saturday, October 24th. Forms will be available at Airport Café Munda, Zipolo Habu Resort on Lola Is, Gizo Marine in Gizo & NFD in Noro.
ROD & REEL OR HAND LINE FISHING ONLY
- $20,000 Prize for Heaviest Marlin over 150 KG
- $5,000.00 Prize for Heaviest Billfish
Cash Prizes Up To $2000.00 for the following categories:-
- Champion Boat – Trophy & Sponsor Prize $2000.00 - Most Species Of Fish Caught
- Champion Game Fish – Trophy & Sponsor Prize - $2000.00 - Sailfish, Wahoo, Mahi Mahi, Yellowfin Tuna.
- Champion Bottom Fish – Trophy & Sponsor Prize - $2000.00 - Snapper, Cod, Jobfish, Bream
- Champion Male Angler – Sponsor Prize - $1500 - Most Fish Caught Rod/Reel
- Champion Lady Angler – Sponsor Prize - $1500 - Most Fish Caught Rod/Reel
- Champion Male Angler – Sponsor Prize - $1500 - Most Fish Caught Hand Line
- Champion Lady Angler – Sponsor Prize - $1500 - Most Fish Caught Hand Line
- Champion Junior Angler - Sponsor Prize - $1000 – Most Fish Caught
- Champion Junior Angler - Sponsor Prize - $1000 – Biggest Fish Caught
Non Cash Prizes:-
- Largest - Popper Fish (any fish caught on a casting popper)
- Largest - Outer Reef Fish (Trevally,Barracuda, Spanish Mackerel)
- Most - Bottom Fish (Snapper, Cod, Jobfish, Bream)
- Most - Reef Fish (Coral Trout, Sweetlips, Wrasse)
- No Sharks, Stingrays & Dugongs, No Spear Gun Fishing, No Scuba Gear, No Fishing Nets, No Night Fishing
- No competitor to win more than one prize
- All fishing must be 1kg minimum size to qualify. You are not allowed to bring a fish with you to the Tournament, you have to actually catch the fish (over 1kg) on the days nominated with a rod & reel or a hand line and have the fish weighed on the official scales at ZIPOLO HABU RESORT on Saturday by 5:00 pm and Sunday by 4:00 pm.
- 50% of catch & all proceeds from sales, private donations, and Auction will be donated to Helena Goldie Hospital
WHAT IS INCLUDED FOR COMPETITION ENTRANTS?
- Free Registration.
- Ice 5kg supplied per boat per day.
WHAT DO YOU PAY FOR?
- Transport, Accommodation, Drinks (other than sponsored)
- Meals (other than sponsored) and Packed lunches
- Fuel will be available from Zipolo Habu Resort at your expense
- For those wanting to fish but don’t have a boat, some spaces will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, and boats available for hire with guides. We suggest you make your own Accommodation & Travel arrangements.
FISHING COMPETITION PROGRAM
WEIGH IN: All entrants must have their catch weighed in at Zipolo Habu Resort by 5pm on Saturday and 4pm on Sunday.
Friday 30th October evening: Welcome B-B-Q sponsored by BANK OF SOUTH PACIFIC. Tournament briefing, Live Music & Raffle at Zipolo Habu at 6.00 pm. Happy Hour 6 – 7:30 pm.
Saturday 31st October. Depart ZIPOLO HABU or other location, in your own time to start fishing. Official Start: Lines in 5:00 a.m.
Fishing during the day and make your way back to ZIPOLO HABU, to be there by the 5:00 pm Weigh-in. This is a safety issue to make sure everyone is safely home and accounted for before dark. There is to be no night fishing. Provide your own lunch and drinks for the day. Lunch will be available at Zipolo Habu or if you require fuel, a packed lunch, drinks etc. (all at your expense).
Saturday Night BBQ/Buffet sponsored by EMCO
Sunday 1st November: Lines in 4:00 am. Fishing during the day and, make your way back for the Official Tournament Finish and weigh in at 4:00 pm at Zipolo Habu. Provide your own lunch and drinks for the day. Lunch will be available at Zipolo Habu or advise us if you require fuel, a packed lunch, drinks etc (all at your expense).
A Buffet Dinner sponsored by SOLOMON TELEKOM and the PRIZE PRESENTATION will be organised at ZIPOLO HABU. From 6:00pm. Drinks available at the bar at your expense. (Some sponsored)
Make your way back home, after a relaxing Breakfast at ZIPOLO, or stay on for the Tuesday 3rd November MELBOURNE CUP races lunch and the famous long-awaited Ladies in Fashion hats.
ALL COMPETITORS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWN PERSONAL AND BOAT SAFETY. PLEASE TAKE AT LEAST ONE MOBILE PHONE PER BOAT.
For further event information
ALL COMPETITORS / BOATS MUST PRE-REGISTER FOR THE COMPETITION BY SATURDAY 24th OCTOBER AT THE FOLLOWING PLACES WHERE ENTRY FORMS ARE AVAILABLE:-
VONAVONA - ZIPOLO HABU RESORT, LOLA ISLAND
NORO – NFD
MUNDA – AIRPORT CAFE
GIZO – WING SUN or GIZO MARINE
Or email [email protected] for a registration form
Related News Items
Get the latest updates straight to your inbox