Travelling with Children
Solomon Airlines offers the following information to help make travelling with children an even more enjoyable experience.
A minor is regarded as an infant in relation to carriage on Solomon Airlines aircraft if they are between the age of 7 days and up to the date of their second birthday.
Reservations for infants must be made via a licensed Travel Agent or Solomon Airlines direct in advance of travel.
Solomon Airlines offers children’s meals for those aged between 2 and 11 years. Children’s meals may be requested by contacting your licensed Travel Agent or Solomon Airlines direct no less than 72 hours prior to your departure.
Policy for the carriage of children and infants
All passengers travelling on Solomon Airlines must be restrained. This includes those classified and infants of children. Infants and Children travelling on Solomon Airlines aircraft must be restrained during takeoff, landing, or any other time that the fasten seat belt sign is illuminated.
Infants under 2 years of age
- An infant must be over 7 days old to travel on Solomon Airlines services.
- An infant may be held on an adult’s lap and must be restrained by an infant belt or extension belt looped through the adults fastened seat belt.
For safety reasons, an adult shall only hold one infant on their lap.
- An adult may travel with a maximum of 2 infants provided, the first must sit on the adult’s lap, while the second must occupy a seat and be restrained in an approved child restraint system. Where an adult is travelling with a second infant, a seat will need to be reserved and a “child fare” will be payable for the second infant.
Approved Restraint Systems
- Seats that comply with Australian/New Zealand design standard AS/NZS 1745 for infant car seats which are secured in the aircraft in a manner consistent with the seat design criteria. As this standard requires a 3 point attachment, a top tether, in addition to the fastened lap belt, must be fitted.
Approved Restraint Systems Conditions of Use
- The responsibility of supplying and fitting the child restraint system (CRS) shall be that of the parent/guardian of the child.
- Usage and installation shall be in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Not to be located in a row of seats that is adjacent to, immediately forward or aft of an emergency exit.
- The child restraint system shall not be fitted on an aisle seat.
- The child restraint system shall be in the same row as the seat occupied by a physically able adult responsible for the child.
- The child restraint system is to be secured at all times by means of a seat belt or as otherwise approved by the manufacturer.
- The occupant of the system should not be removed from the restraint system during preparation for an emergency landing.
- Infant car seats that are not approved will only be accepted as checked in baggage.
Strollers are to be checked in (not allowed in the cabin) and are included in the infants checked baggage allowance of 10 kilograms.
Children over 2 years of age
A child is over 2 years of age and up to and including 11 years of age. Each child must occupy a seat and be able to sit upright without assistance. Children between 2 and 3 years of age and under 18kg may be seated in an approved child restraint system as described above. A child fare is applicable to all children that occupy a seat.
Children travelling alone (Unaccompanied Minors)
To provide for the wellbeing of the children travelling alone, otherwise known as “Unaccompanied Minors”, Solomon Airlines has specific requirements.
If your child or children are aged between 5-11 years of age inclusive and will be travelling without the supervision of a parent or guardian who is fifteen years of older they are classified as an unaccompanied minor.
An “Unaccompanied Minor Form” will have to be completed prior to arrival for check-in at the airport outlining the full details of who is dropping off the child and who is picking up the child at the other end for each journey.
While we will do our best to ensure that your child’s experience of travelling is an enjoyable one, there are a few extra things you can do to make it just that bit easier.
Make sure your child knows who is to meet them upon arrival at the final destination. Explain to your child how important their passport their passport and tickets are, and ensure that they can recognize both.
To find out more or to make arrangements for an unaccompanied minor please contact your licensed Travel Agent or you’re nearest Solomon Airlines office.
Children and Infants On Board
If you are travelling with your children or infants our cabin crew will be more than happy to assist you during your flight.Due to space limitations we are not able to provide on board bassinettes.